1. Microsoft Office Package- including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Picture Manager. You need to know how to create and save a file in Word. You need to know how to do a basic spreadsheet in Excel, and a basic powerpoint (slide show) presentation in Powerpoint. You need to know how to open, crop and save a photo in Picture Manager. Nothing fancy, just the basics.
2. Google. You must know how to ACCESS any information in the world in two seconds.
3. The entire Google system, meaning Google Chrome (browser), Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Docs.
4. Facebook, Twitter, Linked In. Your employer expects you to be BETTER at this than he or she is. You should be the teacher. Add any other apps to this that are already essential that I haven't heard about yet.
5. Mac AND PC. Today's boss expects you to know both and not be afraid of either. Include with this Ipad, Iphone, Blackberry (becoming extinct) and Droids.
6. Typing. Not with two fingers, but with all ten. Fast is good, accurate is better.
7. Spelling. Spell check won't get you out of a homonym you do not know.
8. Basic Percentages. It is shocking to me how many people cannot do 15 percent in their heads. Learn how.
9. How to Address an Envelope. Don't laugh. I had a 22 year old college student intern who did not know how to do this.
10. How to Look Someone in the Eye, Shake his or her Hand, say Hello & Goodbye.
11. How to Take Notes. If the boss is talking, and you aren't taking notes, you aren't doing your job. So figure out ahead of time what your most efficient way to do this is.
Good Luck, feel free to add your essentials to this list.